Established in fall 2022, the Commission for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (“CFAAPI”) is a body appointed by the Chancellor of The University of Tennessee, Knoxville (together with the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, the “campus”) to advise on the planning, implementation, and evaluation of campus programs, policies, and services designed to improve the status and experience of AAPI community members on the campus. The CFAPPI is committed to the advocacy, protection, and advancement of AAPI staff, students, and faculty on campus. Through these programs and services, the CFAAPI will aim to foster a community of belonging where all AAPI members are celebrated and appreciated for their contributions to a culturally rich and diverse society.
- Firmly establish the AAPI Commission
- Expand the cultural diversity of the commission
- Identify needs and strengths of the UT AAPI community
- Increase engagement of the campus community
- Bring awareness and encourage empathy towards the AAPI community and its many intersections
- Remove bias and stigmas against AAPI
- Provide a platform for members to connect, collaborate, and engage in campus wide equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Support AAPI groups and community organizations for their programming needs in the form of sponsorship
CFAAPI is charged to provide one issue to the Chancellor that the commission will act on in AY23: the Grand challenge for the year. During the meeting on Oct. 10, 2022, the members voted and passed that the 2023 grand challenge is to obtain a clear picture of the AAPI community on campus and the issues surrounding AAPI.
Members and Subcommittees
Past Chair(s): Dr. Ling Zhao
- Events and Communication: Gloria Yu
- Membership, Sponsorship, and Awards: Dan Wang
- Professional Development, Retention, and Wellness: Robyn Brookshire
- Current Issues, Culture, and Community: Catherine Luther
News and Resources
If you would like to join our email list to learn more about the upcoming events and announcements, please fill out the AAPI interest form.